Friday 22 June 2012

Haircare: Argan Oils!

Bleaching, blow-drying, straightening... I put my hair through a lot of badness! It's very thick and gets very dry, which isn't a great look and obviously isn't good for the condition of my hair. So anything I can do to add moisture, improve the condition, and make it look healthier and shinier (which isn't always easy for blondes), I am keen to give a go!

I'd heard great things about argan oils, and have bought a few bottles of the VO5 Miracle Concentrate over the last year or so. It's a leave-in treatment, to be used on wet hair. It claims to be high in Vitamin E, rich in anti-oxidants, hydrating and deeply conditioning. It is also claimed that it helps look after your hair by reducing drying time, so you don't need to blow-dry it for so long.
I really liked the VO5 Miracle Concentrate, and have used it up and re-purchased a couple of times. However, I don't use it as much since going blonde again. When I had dark brown hair, I really felt like it added shine and smoothed down any frizz. It's still a great product, but I don't like to put anything of this kind of colour on my hair as I'm trying to tone down any orangey tones I may have. It could purely be in my head, but after using brightening and tone correcting products to wash my hair, I don't want to counteract that by using this on top of it. It doesn't change the tone of my hair, but I do feel like it tones down the blonde shades I've been trying to bring out until I wash it next. 

I like the bottle for this product. The pipette means you have good control in how much you dispense, which is nice for an oil and it would be easy to squeeze or pour too much out. A little also goes a long way. You really only need one or two squeezes of the pipette.

I think it reduced my blow-drying time slightly, but not considerably. It does leave you feeling like you've done your hair some good though, and I think it smells gorgeous, which is always nice with a product you're putting on your hair.

A slightly more expensive option is the Organix Renewing Moroccan Argan Oil - Penetrating Oil. I had never actually seen these Organix products before, but my mum bought this when she was in Boots recently and recommended it to me to help restore the condition of my hair. The product says it 'helps to rapidly penetrate the hair shaft restoring shine and softness while helping to strengthen and create soft, seductive, silky perfection.'. 
It also claims to help protect the hair from styling heat and UV damage. I liked this product a lot. It really makes my hair feel much healthier and softer, and is practically clear. This doesn't smell as nice as the VO5 Miracle Concentrate as it has a slightly more soapy shampoo scent to it.

The Organix Moroccan Argan Oil range also has a shampoo, conditioner and other treatments available, that I'd love to give a go.

I really like using both of these products. However, I am going to stick to using the Organix for a while. I like that it's a thicker kind of gel than the VO5 Miracle Concentrate, as you can sometimes feel like you're losing a lot of the thinner VO5 oil on your hands. The thicker consistency also feels like it's doing more for your hair.

Both products are easily absorbed, which is nice because they feel like they're working and hydrating without leaving a residue on the hair.

Although the Organix Renewing Moroccan Argan Oil is slightly more expensive (I believe it retails for £7.99, but it isn't actually listed on the Boots website despite the other Organix products being listed) than the VO5 Miracle Concentrate (£5.19 from Boots), but you do get double the amount of product, and I feel like it goes even further than the VO5.

I'd buy both of these products again, as I enjoy using them both and think they're both great options for restoring some moisture to dry, over-worked hair.

Have you tried either of these or any of the other Organix range?

xxx

VO5 Miracle Concentrate Elixir with Argan Oil 50ml - £5.19 -http://www.boots.com/en/Vo5-Miracle-Concentrate-Elixir-with-Argan-Oil-50ml_1228559/

Organix Renewing Moroccan Argan Oil - Penetrating Oil - Around £7.99 (Available from Boots) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moroccan-Argan-Oil-Renewing-Penetrating/dp/B006B6SE6E/ref=sr_1_22?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1340375822&sr=1-22

7 comments:

  1. I've used the organix shampoo and conditioner in the argan line and the keratin (I think) line and wasn't the impressed to be honest. Have always meant to try the vo5 oil and will definitely be picking up the organix argan oil at SOME point! Thanks for the review. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! Maybe I'll give them a miss! x

      Delete
  2. Will definitely have to give these a try! Great review :)

    <3
    www.couturenoir.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. i dont usually use argan oils for my hair, but ill give them a try(:

    http://ourclosetforyou.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the V05 oil, I've bought about three bottles now :) haha xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Organix shampoo looks adorable! I have Their Cherry Blossom Ginseng conditioner and shampoo in travel-size, and they smell amazing! x
    Raves 'nd Ramblings

    ReplyDelete