Sunday 17 June 2012

E.L.F Reviews (Part One) - Eyeshadow, Eyeliner, and Lash and Brow Mascara!

So I got a bit carried away and ordered 7 products from the E.L.F website last week. Having never owned an E.L.F product, I was very excited to try them out, and have been incorporating them into my everyday make-up routine since they arrived.

E.L.F Single Eyeshadow in Totally Teal (Retails for £3.75)

I had my reservations about the colour of the free Studio eyeshadow I got with my order.
Don't get me wrong, I love a freebie, however as it's not a colour I would normally wear I was dubious as to whether I'd get any real use out of it, as opposed to if it were more of a neutral shade.
However, the colour is gorgeous and beautifully pigmented, so I have set about finding ways I could use it for different looks. In the summer I sometimes like to have a natural or golden eyeshadow on my lid and line the underneath with a blue or green, and this worked really well for that with a damp liner brush.
It's very buildable, so you can use it for a wash of teal over the lid, or for a really dramatic heavy eye look. It says on the packaging that the product is crease and fade resistant. I haven't worn it all over the lid for a long enough period of time to really test this, but it did last well as a liner, and there was no fall-out from it, despite it being pigmented. If the product really is crease and fade resistant, it would be fantastic for make-up looks for nights out. It can also be applied wet for a more intense and longer lasting colour.
From the website, the other shades in this range all look beautiful as well, and I'd definitely be keen to try this product in one of the softer colours as I really like the consistency and pigment of the product, as well as how well it applies.

E.L.F Waterproof Eyeliner Pen in Black (Retails for £1.50)

I've never been a huge fan of eyeliner pens. While they are good for precise application and don't give you the leaking or smudging problems that some pencils or liquid liners do, I've always found the nib to dry out quickly or the colour to just not have the intensity or be as opaque as I'd like. I'm willing to accept this is probably just me being fussy. When I wear eyeliner on my upper lashline I like it to be very defined and opaque, not necessarily thick, but I just don't like the look of smudgey eyeliner or undefined liner on me.
But I thought it was time me and eyeliner pens tried to settle our differences. As (hopefully) summertime approaches, I won't always want to be wearing a lot of make-up, and while I love the liquid liner look, it might tend to look a bit heavy for everyday when I'm not out and about doing anything special. It also appealed to me that this pen is waterproof as in the warmer weather I am a big fan of waterproof eye products that you don't have to worry about melting off of your face or transferring.
The nib for this pen is fantastic. It's really thin so you are able to achieve a great eyeliner flick, and you can build it to be as thin or thick a line as you fancy. When I applied this eyeliner, it stayed in place all day, and it stayed put through some tricky eyeliner odds.
However, I did find it quite hard to make my liner as intense as I like it, but as I've said I bought this for the days when I don't really want that look, so I think it's something I'd get used to. But if you are looking for a good intense solid eyeliner line, I wouldn't buy this product for that.
If you like subtle but defined, then I think this product could really be for you, and it is fantastic for that look.

E.L.F Wet Gloss Lash & Brow Clear Mascara

I really love having my eyebrows well shaped and defined. I feel like good eyebrows really pull a make-up look together. I use a No7 Amazing Eyes Pencil in number 10 Brown to lightly fill in and shape my brows, but have often found that sometimes the hairs will fall out of place. I have in the past used a tiny bit of Vaseline over them to keep them in place, but it's not very resistant, so I have been wanting to buy a clear mascara for a while.

It's been one of those products that hasn't been top of my list, so I always forget it when shopping, however I am so glad I finally bought one. I think it is brilliant and is now a necessary step in finishing my make-up off. The packaging says the formula has protein conditioning properties, but doesn't describe what that does. It could possibly help promote the growth of lashes and eyebrows, but I couldn't be certain.

The product has one end for lashes and one for brows. While I'm sure the lashes end would work just as well for brows and vice versa should you run out of mascara. The brow wand is slightly thicker than the lashes wand, and isn't tapered. It applies perfectly to the brows and allows them to be shaped however you want them.
The formula dries fully, so you feel really assured that your brows won't be moving, and it doesn't leave them looking glossy, coated in product, or anything that would make them look unnatural. The mascara has worked really well for me both over colour I've used for my brows and just on them naturally for a simpler, more everyday look.

I have also been using the clear lash mascara for my bottom lashes. I often find putting black mascara on my lower lashes can look a bit much on me for the daytime, and can make them look a bit long and spidery. So this was a great alternative to define them, whilst looking natural. It would also work really well over black mascara if you wanted to experiement with glossy looking lashes.

This product is a firm favourite of mine and I will be repurchasing when I run out!



Hope you enjoy reading! So far I am really pleased with my E.L.F buys and definitely think, with the prices and the variety, that I could be onto a new personal favourite brand!

xxx

Wet Gloss Lash & Brow Clear Mascara - £1.50 - http://eyeslipsface.co.uk/product~prodID~12.htm
Waterproof Eyeliner Pen - £1.50 - http://eyeslipsface.co.uk/product~prodID~101.htm
Studio Single Eyeshadow - £3.75 - http://eyeslipsface.co.uk/product~prodID~145.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment